Green House

2206 Rio Grande Street , Austin, TX 78705

Captain George Sampson arrived in Austin in 1848. This property was in his family for over 100 years and the existing two-story house was built by his grandson, Sampson Nalle. The wooden and brick structure was built around the year 1921. The Hardin family acquired the property in 1963. Today, as part of the Hardin House dormitory established in 1937, the building has come to be referred to as "Green House" by its generations of residents, owing to the exterior color that existed during the late 1960's through the 1980's. The latticework entry was added in 1994, around the original front porch and verandah. There are 16 bedrooms of varied floor plans typically housing 29 residents, four kitchens and two cozy study rooms. (See also room descriptions.) Green House shares a pool and all the amenities in the Main House adjacent to it.