Houses

Apartments

2206 Rio Grande Street , Austin, Texas 78705

The Hardin House, established in 1937, underwent an expansion in the mid 1960s under Richard D. Hardin, son of founder Stella. The Apartments, an existing apartment house, was purchased in 1965, near Green House that was bought in 1963, and adjacent to where Main House was built in 1966. The Apartments, a two-story, nine unit building typically housing eighteen residents,  are just across a landscaped courtyard and herb garden from the Main House dining room. One additional apartment which houses two more residents has a backdoor to the courtyard and a front door inside Main House. These 10 apartments are the only portion of Hardin House which feature a true apartment floor plan, with bedroom, living room, dining area, kitchen, and bath all within the unit itself. These units are a bit more secluded, and yet have access to all the amenities of the Main House, including swimming pool, sun deck, laundry room, a large living room with baby grand piano, computer room, study rooms, and TV room. (See also room descriptions.)